As some of you may know I have been working on a new project.
Part of it was trying out some new molding materials that I plan on using for a
big project that I plan to start moving on in Aug… sorry but that one is all
hush hush till I am done. I promise it will be worth it. This
project however was inspired one night while planning for my week of body
painting at motion notion. I am really proud of how they turned out and would
like to share the process
Stage one was deciding what type of horns to make a friend
requested deer antlers and I decided on impala inspired antlers for
myself. Once I had decided I looked up some pictures and got to sculpting. The freshly sculpted horns ca be
seen in the picture below and are made of a sulfur free oil based clay.
After the plastic was fully cured I was able to crack open my
molds and clean the clay out of the middle. From there I sealed them back
together and poured up the final product with a slightly flexible urethane
Once the horns were out of the mold and the edges trimmed I was
able to paint and start building the headpieces. After making a hue mess in my
kitchen I had finally applied enough glue rhinestones flowers and feathers to
make a finished piece.
In the end I made 3 one with no horns made as a warm up of sorts
while waiting for the weather to be nice enough to paint outside, A
small more delicate pair for my friend and a large all out pair for myself.
With spring finally here and the lilacs in full bloom it became
obvious a few weeks ago that a lilac themed photo shoot was in order.
Armed with a bucket and some clippers I set off to my parent’s
back yard to acquire the necessary
Once my fantastic model Sarah Taylor arrived it was just under 2
hours work to come up with a purple themed makeup featuring an ombre lip and to
fill her hair with as many flowers as it would hold. After
hair and makeup it was up to Barry Armstrong photographer extraordinaire to
capture the days events.
We soon finished with indoor pictures and seeing as the rain had
been nice enough to hold off just a bit longer we ventured outside to take some
pictures in the grass and with a conveniently located lilac bush.
A successful day in all my house smelled wonderfully of lilacs
and we had a lot of fun.